Guest Blogger #4 (I've lost count!) - Heidi Whitman.
If you have ever chased, supported or watched this woman maneuver a rugby pitch you know its amazing. You can listen to her support players yelling "I'm on your right, I'm on your left" as she changes directions at the drop of a dime. She is simply deadly at the fullback position. Her strength on & off the field is monumental and I am proud to call her my teammate.
-----------
As any aging rugger knows, rugby is a rough sport, and the older you get the creakier you get. Each new whack on the shoulder or the knee gives you pause - especially if you're already pausing to heal up - and you ponder, 'is this the injury that ends my rugby career?'
But I'm not making this a dour post, I mean it to reflect my mood in this season of giving and reflection. Have you thought about what you'll do when your rugby days on the field are pooped out? This sport has given so much to so many of us. To myself and most women I think, rugby has given us self-esteem and coincidence in our bodies, confidence in our strength to stand up to the world. This is such an obscure, most special gift.
I was 17 when I started playing rugby, and you can be sure this sport made its impression on me. To pass on this strength to women I think would be the most special gift of all. Ladies, you can do this by coaching. Now before we have mutinies around the west as players rise up to demand coaching spots, let me clarify and say that I mean Coach the Youngin's. So many women's college teams around the country could use a little help with practices, don't be shy about your help. But really, I'm talking about high school age teams. I've seen the traditions in Seattle and Vermont of girls teams that do amazing things for their players! And to teach the basics of rugby doesn't really take tha
t much extensive knowledge on the coaches part, just the right attitude. You could give those girls a kind of confidence that most women never get exposed to! This is the best kind of giving back to rugby that there is.
I know most people aren't blessed with a girls team in the area that they can pop in and help out at. So this means we'll have to get a bit more ambitious with our giving and helping. I'll tell you, it's easier than it might seem to start a girls team, if a bit intimidating. But there are people to ask - an excellent resource are the Kent Crusaders, the first HS girls team in the US - I watched them win the Nat'ls in 2002. www.kentcrusaders.com Or you can check out USA Rugby's development page at www.usarugby.org/youth
Merry Christmas, ruggers!
Guest Blogger - Heidi Whitman
2006-12-19T10:31:00-06:00
Scrumhalf Connection
Custom Search
Scrumhalf Connection Blog on Facebook
Watch this video to enter for a chance to win VIP tickets to the Heineken Cup Final!
Follow me on Twitter!
YSC Proudly Sponsors
Our Sports tickets include
rugby tickets,
boxing tickets,
hockey tickets and soccer tickets
Tickets World-Wide is a proud sponsor of Your Scrumhalf Connection. We handle tickets for a vast variety of events including the Super Bowl, Women's Final Four and the US Open Tennis tournament. For twenty years we have traded NFL Football and NBA Basketball tickets. Some of our favorite local teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros and the Houston Rockets. International favorites include World Cup Soccer, Grand Prix Racing and the Winter Olympics. Need college basketball seats? Yes, we trade Duke Blue Devils, Kentucky Wildcats and the Tar Heels. We also handle national events like NFR Rodeo and Las Vegas events. Any Ticket, anywhere!
Score yourself a few custom rugby t-shirts.
Get ready for top class online NFL betting at amazing site, Bet-on-the-NFL.com. You can also discover a number of other great football betting sites, news, and stats at SB3. Like to play games? The best online casinos website is Jaxcasinos.com
The place for sports betting, find the best online casino, nfl spread or check the best poker website.
Kontera It!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(191)
-
▼
Dec
(20)
- Rugby News!
- Coming to you LIVE....
- Recovering with a bit of fear...
- 2,000 Visitors!!!
- Jake and Dad
- Visiting the Family and the Adventures of Jake...
- Merry Christmas!
- Guest Blogger - Heidi Whitman
- Google Calendar...AMAZING!
- An Experiment
- Google Earth!
- Guest Blogger #3: THE IMPORTANCE OF REGISTERING WI...
- 2007 New Orleans Women's Rugby Club
- I HEART PINK CASTS!
- Rugby: Why our Jolene is set to star in oklahoma. . .
- UVSC Now recieving EQUAL funding as Extramural Teams
- I'M SO EXCITED!!
- Mercury 13 - Women in Power
- NY Rugby on CBS Morning Show
- Getting around...
-
▼
Dec
(20)






Rucking Zone
Keystone Premiership Team
ScrumQueens