So today I was browsing the rugby blogosphere and fell upon a particular blog post. Chasing Down Life is blogging about her devastating ACL injury (this is her 2nd ACL injury). Upon reading her last few posts over the last week, I almost welled up in tears at work.
I've been there. The utter disappointment, rage, torture, more disappointment, realizations...thoughts...sprials...its more than the pain of the surgery and the injury...its everything else that is devastating. Anyone who has been there knows what it feels like...
Her post made me think about my physical and mental being during the recovery of my ACL injury...and lets just say it wasn't pretty. I tore my ACL on September 24, 2005 and had surgery a exactly a month later (I had severe bone bruising...basically I had tiny fractures in my bones). I too, did not tear anything but the ACL, no meniscus, PCL, LCL or whatever. The surgery was easy enough, I had plenty of pain at night and took plenty of pain medication. I guess I was lucky in most respects, but my frustration came from never really being injured. Sure I had sprained an ankle, tweaked a hamstring...but had never been down and out for more than a month.
I had never really faced myself in the throes of depression and injury. I continued to attend rugby practice every Tuesday and Thursday night and helped with the team where I could. The nights were the worst as I had terrible dreams of tearing my ACL again, dreams of never being able to walk normally and dreams of never playing rugby again. I am a tough girl, but my mind was trying to betray me in my sleep.
In the end I made a full recovery and played my first rugby game about 4 months after surgery (I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS!). The reality of it was that I couldn't be kept off the pitch...at 3 months, the most critical time of the healing process, I was at practice playing touch rugby. If I had stayed away from rugby during my recovery process, I really think that my mind might have won. The depression, rage, frustration...it might have taken me over.
As I write that statement, I am angry that I sound weak...or that I would have given in. But unless you have been there...you wouldn't know.
Stay strong Chasing Down Life and don't let it beat you!
Custom Search
Scrumhalf Connection Blog on Facebook
Watch this video to enter for a chance to win VIP tickets to the Heineken Cup Final!
Follow me on Twitter!
YSC Proudly Sponsors
Our Sports tickets include
rugby tickets,
boxing tickets,
hockey tickets and soccer tickets
Tickets World-Wide is a proud sponsor of Your Scrumhalf Connection. We handle tickets for a vast variety of events including the Super Bowl, Women's Final Four and the US Open Tennis tournament. For twenty years we have traded NFL Football and NBA Basketball tickets. Some of our favorite local teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros and the Houston Rockets. International favorites include World Cup Soccer, Grand Prix Racing and the Winter Olympics. Need college basketball seats? Yes, we trade Duke Blue Devils, Kentucky Wildcats and the Tar Heels. We also handle national events like NFR Rodeo and Las Vegas events. Any Ticket, anywhere!
Score yourself a few custom rugby t-shirts.
Get ready for top class online NFL betting at amazing site, Bet-on-the-NFL.com. You can also discover a number of other great football betting sites, news, and stats at SB3. Like to play games? The best online casinos website is Jaxcasinos.com
The place for sports betting, find the best online casino, nfl spread or check the best poker website.
Kontera It!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(273)
-
▼
Nov
(29)
- Rugby (everything really!) Here & There
- Women's Rugby Youtube GROUP
- We want videos!
- Women’s 2007 England Tour Updates
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Remembering...
- Rugby Here & There
- Another Post about the West...
- NO New NA4 Layout...ITT's it IS!
- USA 7s Women's Developmental Squad for NAWIRA 7's ...
- Rugby Here & There
- USA Rugby D1 National Championship PAST WINNERS
- 300 Spoofs
- DI & DII Champions
- Scores Day Two
- Keystone vs ORSU
- Beantown Defeats New York! 17 to 17 at the last mi...
- Scores Day One
- USA Rugby Problems Watching...
- I'm Hoping
- Watch the USA Rugby Women's Club Championships LIVE
- USA Rugby DI & DII National Championships
- 2008 NEW ORLEANS RUGBY RECOVERY EFFORT
- Texas Youth Rugby Association
- England Tour Roster Announced
- Support Women's National Team England Tour
- Geography of USA Rugby Women’s Rugby D1 Teams
- Google Your Name & Rugby - Wendy Young Rugby
- Round of 16 Photos (Day 1 & Day 2)
-
▼
Nov
(29)






Rucking Zone
Keystone Premiership Team
ScrumQueens