A small writeup from Stephanie "Sprouts" Dvorak from the University of Texas A&M Rugby Team. She just got back from the USA U23 Developmental Program in Philadelphia. She is and up and coming prop with a ton of potential and is a force to reckon with. Her field vision and "gap seeking" improves with every game.
*Haha, I just realized that her jersey says 13 on it, I had heard rumors that you used to be a back!*
The camp was great....I had a LOT of fun, and that was actually the first time I have ever met the USA coaches so that was a great part of it. The shoulder is doing much better. It was pretty sore each day but I'm working hard to take care of it... icing it and taking my medicine and therapy and what not.
Basically this was 4 was the most physically demanding rugby days of my life. We stayed at the dorms at West Chester University and the pitch was 1 mile away, so we walked to and from it 2 times a day for our practices (I never thought 4 miles of walking a day would hurt so bad).
Practice was amazing, the first day we did fitness testing and I felt like I did pretty solid...I had been keeping up with fitness so I wasn't in too bad of shape. We started on ball handling that afternoon, working on running channels and crosses and moving the ball with runners trailing, inserting, etc. It was definitely a big learning thing for me, especially being a forward.
The next day we started in on the tackling, starting low (on our knees) and working up to massive drills with 15+ people in at once just going at it. the progression of each of the drills was nice, and after the big drills we would work on individual skills and what not and then go back to the drills to try to improve in them. That was a pretty intense day with all of the tacking.
The next day we worked a lot on defense, working on communicating and sliding and who should get what tackle. We also split up into the different positions and I went with the tight 5. We did lots of core work and powerful, explosive movements for the scrum and line outs. Monday, we split into teams and had a full out, 80 minute scrimmage, which was one of the best games I have ever played in my life. They really encourage fast ball out of the rucks and lots of movement in the back line.
What was really different for me (being a prop) was that they really wanted us to insert right up WITH the backs to be there to support to work on continuous play. We also rucked more than I've ever rucked before to try to work on poaching and turnovers at the breakdowns. I have never really personally worked on that so that was good for me. Ooh also I LOVED meeting girls from all over the US, girls that I have seen play and have played and always thought were amazing were there, and that certainly helped with confidence levels and just learning about different styles. I love those girls a LOT already.
Another fun thing we did was watch the women's 2006 World Cup, which I had never seen before, between England and New Zealand. It was great to watch with all my teammates because everyone had comments about everything and Barb really went through it and broke down the plays with us.
Ok well this was probably more than you needed to know but I'm at work and just went off on a tangent :). Hope everything is going well with you. and I hope I see you again soon so we can have a slurpee together!
-Sprouts
Custom Search
Scrumhalf Connection Blog on Facebook
Watch this video to enter for a chance to win VIP tickets to the Heineken Cup Final!
Follow me on Twitter!
YSC Proudly Sponsors
Our Sports tickets include
rugby tickets,
boxing tickets,
hockey tickets and soccer tickets
Tickets World-Wide is a proud sponsor of Your Scrumhalf Connection. We handle tickets for a vast variety of events including the Super Bowl, Women's Final Four and the US Open Tennis tournament. For twenty years we have traded NFL Football and NBA Basketball tickets. Some of our favorite local teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros and the Houston Rockets. International favorites include World Cup Soccer, Grand Prix Racing and the Winter Olympics. Need college basketball seats? Yes, we trade Duke Blue Devils, Kentucky Wildcats and the Tar Heels. We also handle national events like NFR Rodeo and Las Vegas events. Any Ticket, anywhere!
Score yourself a few custom rugby t-shirts.
Get ready for top class online NFL betting at amazing site, Bet-on-the-NFL.com. You can also discover a number of other great football betting sites, news, and stats at SB3. Like to play games? The best online casinos website is Jaxcasinos.com
The place for sports betting, find the best online casino, nfl spread or check the best poker website.
Kontera It!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(273)
-
▼
Jul
(31)
- http://www.rugby15.co.uk/rugby.html
- Women's U-23 Team Lose Second Match of Tour, Learn...
- Corpus Christi 7s
- Corpus Christi 7s
- USA Under 23 start NZ tour with win
- Defensive Theories
- Why Rugby is Rubbish...Wait WHAT?
- This Weekend
- Finished Harry Potter!
- Rugby Here & There
- FABULOUS Try...BUT WAIT...showboating...
- Eagles Reunited
- Wales New World Cup Strip
- PRESERVE HARRY POTTER!
- Paris Tourism Ads...WTF?
- USA Rugby Shop, Enter Promo Code
- Yesterday's Workout
- GROSS...I can barely blog about it...
- USA Sweeps Softball World Cup
- Crossfit Workouts
- Austin Valkyries Website UP!
- Looking Towards the Rugby World Cup 2007
- Rugby 7s Added to Pan American Games
- U23 Developement Camp - Stephanie "Sprouts" Dvorak
- Cape Fear Day 2
- Cape Fear - West All Star 7s
- Vacation and a New Website!
- Rugby Retirement?
- They will look at me with mormon eyes!
- NA4 Details
- Rugby Here and There...
-
▼
Jul
(31)






Rucking Zone
Keystone Premiership Team
ScrumQueens