I can't believe the summer has flown by and its already Fall here in Austin! The weather has been unnaturally cool for this time of year (due to pressure systems around Hurricane Ike) and the break from 100 degrees has been welcome.
So what has been happening in my neck of the woods? Starting in June I was released to play rugby and spent plenty of time training for the West All-Star Team. I knew I was a backup scrumhalf going into the whole situation, so the pressure was low and it was actually nice to enjoy my time at NASCs. I also had a BLAST working with the West U23 All-Star as a trainer/scrumhalf coach for that team. Don't forget to read up on The Girl's LONG trip to PIT as she was also on the West Senior team and also helped with the West U23's as a forwards coach.
Before NASCs, I played my first game since ACL surgery at Dallas 7s in Ft, Worth TX. That tournament is always a blast with the Debutante Ball after a long day of 7's. Good tournament with plenty of women's teams (6) and of course it is always good to see old friends! We played well as a team in our first event and placed 4th I believe. I reffed two games and played in a few as well, love that tournament!
In July I was disappointed to not be selected for the Nations Cup Team, but knew it was a long shot as I was still coming off my ACL replacement surgery. However, I watched with pride as the team fought hard against England, Canada and England again. The pictures from the event were amazing and the new jerseys look smashing!! Also, make sure to check out the Youtube highlight video of England vs USA.
Bloodfest 7s was in July and that is an amazing tournament as well! I reffed and played with the Satiated Beavers in that tournament. My knee was coming along well and I was feeling more and more fit and more and more confident. The Beavers kicked arse in that tournament and placed 1st while A&M (last year's champions) placed 2nd. The Austin Valkyries, my club team, also began Sprint Training in July in order to be ready for our first league match against Glendale in September.
While some of the Beavers were in Cape Cod at Cape Cod 7s, the rest of the Beavers headed down to Corpus Christ for 7s by the Sea. The weather was absolutely gorgeous as we had partial cloud cover most of the day and of course the ocean was lovely as well. I reffed over 6 games that day and enjoyed every minute of it! Reffing men has been a pleasure as they have been respectful, honest and understanding. It has challenged my fitness, mind and character, and I am enjoying it immensely.
In August the summer continued to fly by as The Girl, Meg and I headed to Shreveport, LA to referee the TOLA 7s Championships and we enjoyed good buffet food, gambling and of course some great rugby. In the middle of August, the Austin Valkyries began fall practice with large numbers (yea for recruiting) and plenty of heart and gusto.
Of course August is the best month because it is my birthday month, and everyone knows that Virgos are the best!! For my birthday it was pretty low-key on the actual day as I had motorcycle classes, but that night was another killer Ros/Wendy duo birthday party.
September is almost half over and rugby is back in the works full swing! We are hosting a Private & Exclusive screening of Forever Strong next week, we have already played a few A side and B side games and I will be reffing under the new ELV laws this weekend for the first time. All in all things are moving well, my knee is stronger than ever and I hardly think about it anymore. I am training a new backup scrumhalf and she is kicking ass, I have had fun teaching her all the ins and outs of being a bad-arse scrumhalf.
Some good news on the WNT front, I just received an invitation to a Red vs White game in November in Ft. Lauderdale, FL...we are playing as an exhibition match for the U19 Tournament...more details to come as that event develops.
I have a few projects in route for the blog and the most recent is creating some sort of HTML form or ASP project that will allow you to submit your team's scores each week. If anyone has any hints or suggestions on this, I would appreciate it as I am trying valiantly to figure it out between work, school (one more semester till I graduate!) and rugby!
Custom Search
Scrumhalf Connection Blog on Facebook
Watch this video to enter for a chance to win VIP tickets to the Heineken Cup Final!
Follow me on Twitter!
YSC Proudly Sponsors
Our Sports tickets include
rugby tickets,
boxing tickets,
hockey tickets and soccer tickets
Tickets World-Wide is a proud sponsor of Your Scrumhalf Connection. We handle tickets for a vast variety of events including the Super Bowl, Women's Final Four and the US Open Tennis tournament. For twenty years we have traded NFL Football and NBA Basketball tickets. Some of our favorite local teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros and the Houston Rockets. International favorites include World Cup Soccer, Grand Prix Racing and the Winter Olympics. Need college basketball seats? Yes, we trade Duke Blue Devils, Kentucky Wildcats and the Tar Heels. We also handle national events like NFR Rodeo and Las Vegas events. Any Ticket, anywhere!
Score yourself a few custom rugby t-shirts.
Get ready for top class online NFL betting at amazing site, Bet-on-the-NFL.com. You can also discover a number of other great football betting sites, news, and stats at SB3. Like to play games? The best online casinos website is Jaxcasinos.com
The place for sports betting, find the best online casino, nfl spread or check the best poker website.
Kontera It!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(290)
-
▼
Sep
(24)
- Recent Your Scrumhalf Connection Videos
- Rugby Video Monday: Philly vs Raleigh 9/20/2008
- Positive/Negative
- West League Matches this Weekend
- England to Host 2010 Women's Rugby World Cup
- Come on the Merry Go Round!
- Rugby Video Monday: Girls Play Too
- And the Winner is...
- Hilarious SNL Skit
- The Leaves are Changing...
- WANTED: West Rugby Senior All-Star Team Head Coach
- Austin Valkyries Present: FOREVER STRONG
- Hurricane Ike Watch 2008
- Oh IKE!
- High Desert Rugby Classic - Oct. 18 -19 2008
- WANTED: Women's Rugby Coach in Clinton, NY
- Rugby Video Monday: Vassar Spotlight
- Back in the Game
- Rugby Union Called 'Ignorant and Patriarchal' by W...
- Friends of Your Scrumhalf Connection
- Off the Streets and Onto the Rugby Pitch
- US National 7s Team Announces World Cup Practice S...
- Giving Back: Your Scrumhalf Connection Tshirt!
- Rugby Video Monday: Funny Rugby
-
▼
Sep
(24)






Rucking Zone
Keystone Premiership Team
ScrumQueens