I am sure most of the women's rugby world was following the Women's National Team's progress at the Nations Cup and have also been following Goff's and other news sources updates on the tournament. Goff's latest article Eagle Eye on USA Women (subscription required) has really stirred up the pot. Within two hours of posting the article there were already 2 pages of comments and overnight there is another page of comments.
Some of the points of Goff's article in my opinion are out of line and some are of course right in line. Along the same idea, some of the comments are well thought and well written, while some of the comments are low-class and irrelevant. However, I do not want to open a hate fest or a negative arena like Goff's comments have become. Let's really get down to the nitty gritty and lets talk about what we really think will help. Put Me in Coach posted along the same lines yesterday and a few of you have emailed with similar interests. I have posted one of the best written responses yet and Kalie from Brown University has let me know that I can share it on this forum.
Wendy-
I realized very quickly this afternoon that Alex Goff did a pretty good job opening a tricky can of worms regarding the WNT. The responses to his article are all over the place (the ones posted on the site), but clearly he hit some nerves in the wider rugby community....
I have plenty of criticisms for Goff, and often I just take his writing with a shaker of salt and leave the rest be.
But I don't think that his article should be the only point of reference for what he's talking about. He goes from lesbianism to league structures--it's too much at once, it's too complicated and his oversimplification is a bad choice to make...one conversation is about collegiate play, one is about adult league structures, another is about elite level professionalism, one is about national team development structure, another is about the presence of communities within rugby, another is about sport and sexuality and identity...etc etc He leaves it as a jumble, and his audience sounds like its running right into that jumble.
I think it would be a very interesting opportunity to capture more articulate and thoughtful responses, writing, opinions, and questions that come from some of this. Untangle the different ideas that he gets at, and shed the most accurate light on the issues. While it would be easy enough to send out a few emails to my own rugby network and get well written thoughts back, I figured I'd turn to you first, and see if you think it'd be worthwhile to use this as a chance to invite people to respond personally (personal email) and honor the well written arguments...synthesize some things into your own blog entries, or something like that. Pretty much, I started writing down what I had to say, but realized my ideal would be to coordinate....to really look into this in a legitimate way... your thoughts??? I must sound vague right now, but I have some specific ideas spinning around my head...
Let me know what you think if you get a chance.
Best,
Kalie Gold
Brown University '08
Brown Women's Rugby (alumna)
So Kalie has started the conversation, what do you want to talk about? What parts of this program need tweaking? Is it really money, sexuality, staff etc...please keep in mind that I will not delete your comment or email because it is negative, but I would hope that we can all be positive and really work on things that can be fixed.
Send me your thoughts via email or leave them in the comments.
Custom Search
Scrumhalf Connection Blog on Facebook
Watch this video to enter for a chance to win VIP tickets to the Heineken Cup Final!
Follow me on Twitter!
YSC Proudly Sponsors
Our Sports tickets include
rugby tickets,
boxing tickets,
hockey tickets and soccer tickets
Tickets World-Wide is a proud sponsor of Your Scrumhalf Connection. We handle tickets for a vast variety of events including the Super Bowl, Women's Final Four and the US Open Tennis tournament. For twenty years we have traded NFL Football and NBA Basketball tickets. Some of our favorite local teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros and the Houston Rockets. International favorites include World Cup Soccer, Grand Prix Racing and the Winter Olympics. Need college basketball seats? Yes, we trade Duke Blue Devils, Kentucky Wildcats and the Tar Heels. We also handle national events like NFR Rodeo and Las Vegas events. Any Ticket, anywhere!
Score yourself a few custom rugby t-shirts.
Get ready for top class online NFL betting at amazing site, Bet-on-the-NFL.com. You can also discover a number of other great football betting sites, news, and stats at SB3. Like to play games? The best online casinos website is Jaxcasinos.com
The place for sports betting, find the best online casino, nfl spread or check the best poker website.
Kontera It!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(290)
-
▼
Aug
(26)
- Women's National Team - What's your Opinion?
- Highlights: USA v England Nations Cup Match, full ...
- WNT Fades in Second Half, Loses Nation Cup Match a...
- Women Eagles Prepare for Canada - Nations Cup
- Midwest Women Take All-Star Sevens Title
- Rugby Video Monday: Rugby in the Olympics?
- All-Star Sevens Championships Get Underway at Foun...
- England Defeats USA 17-14 in Nations Cup Opener
- Women Eagles Reload for England
- England Pounds US in Nations Cup Warm-Up
- Rugby Video Monday: All Blacks Training Video
- Solicitor Becomes International Rugby Referee
- Flores Names WNT Lineup for Nations Cup Warm-up Match
- The Republic of Texas Rugby Referees - Latest News
- MTSU Rugby Camp with Special Guest Eddie O'Sullivan
- USA Rugby Hires Women’s High Performance Manager
- WANTED: NAVY Rugby Seeks Rugby Coach
- Early CIPP Registration
- Rugby Video Monday
- How Old is Too Old?
- Germany places a bid to host the Women's Rugby Wor...
- 8th Annual TACKLE CANCER 10s Tourney - 8/8/2008, P...
- 9th Annual Ruggapalooza 15's tournament, September...
- Deep South Awarded Coach Development Program (CDP)...
- WANTED: Rugby Recipes
- Rugby Video Monday
-
▼
Aug
(26)






Rucking Zone
Keystone Premiership Team
ScrumQueens