I am a strong believer in hydration. As I prepare for the Valkyries challenge match against Belmont Shore this weekend...this point of importance has become forefront in my mind.
I played at the University of Oklahoma for five years, a hot, dry...and HOT climate you might say. Especially during the summer months, the AC was always blowing! I have always loved drinking water (yes straight from the tap!) and never had a problem hydrating before games.
So when I moved to Austin, TX last July I thought I was good to go! HA, my first game I started overheating and remember seeing three of my flyhalf. I just threw to the middle one...haha. So I had to revamp my strategy a bit for the even hotter and dry Austin heat. I just realized that some of my readers are probably cursing me right now as they still have snow, sleet and general crappy cold weather! Sorry! Austin has been in the 80's for weeks now...already packed all the winter gear up!
Anyways, so I was thinking of my hydration strategy...and wondered if other players have their strategies or just try to remember to drink water. I know some of you are probably thinking...strategy? Is she nuts? Maybe I am, but now I don't overheat when its over a hundred degrees outside!
Basically if I know I have a game on Saturday or a tournament, I start drinking more and more water starting Wednesday. I would say on a normal week, and a normal day I drink 6-8bottles (I re-use my Vitamin Water bottles...they are 20 fl oz) easily. Yesterday I kept a tally and I drank 8 of these bottles at work and at least 3 while at home last night. Today I have drank 8 bottles already and plan to drink more before practice and before bed.
My strategy for Friday is to drink as much water as I can...my pee should be clear and copious (thanks Mark!). Fridays I usually move to a nalgene bottle too, as I get tired of filling up the smaller bottles. Friday night I usually start drinking a bit of Gatorade because by Friday I am so tired of water I have to change it up to keep the hydration going.
Saturday varies if the match is in the morning or the afternoon. But basically I keep drinking until I am almost sick of drinking...and I haven't had a problem yet!
Does anyone else obsess about hydration like I do? Do you have a strategy? Or do you just drink tons of water the night before your match? Do you drink water, sports drinks or anything else?
Custom Search
Scrumhalf Connection Blog on Facebook
Watch this video to enter for a chance to win VIP tickets to the Heineken Cup Final!
Follow me on Twitter!
YSC Proudly Sponsors
Our Sports tickets include
rugby tickets,
boxing tickets,
hockey tickets and soccer tickets
Tickets World-Wide is a proud sponsor of Your Scrumhalf Connection. We handle tickets for a vast variety of events including the Super Bowl, Women's Final Four and the US Open Tennis tournament. For twenty years we have traded NFL Football and NBA Basketball tickets. Some of our favorite local teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros and the Houston Rockets. International favorites include World Cup Soccer, Grand Prix Racing and the Winter Olympics. Need college basketball seats? Yes, we trade Duke Blue Devils, Kentucky Wildcats and the Tar Heels. We also handle national events like NFR Rodeo and Las Vegas events. Any Ticket, anywhere!
Score yourself a few custom rugby t-shirts.
Get ready for top class online NFL betting at amazing site, Bet-on-the-NFL.com. You can also discover a number of other great football betting sites, news, and stats at SB3. Like to play games? The best online casinos website is Jaxcasinos.com
The place for sports betting, find the best online casino, nfl spread or check the best poker website.
Kontera It!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(273)
-
▼
Apr
(27)
- Rugby Here and There...I Can't Believe its Almost ...
- Monsters Under the Bed
- And the thunder rolls on...
- We are Still Standing, Will you BE?
- Austin Valkyries vs. Belmont Shore
- Division I College Playoffs Results
- H2O BOAT RACES!
- Strong Believer
- Awesome Art
- West D1 League Standings
- 80 Degrees and Rising...
- Division I Women's College Playoffs Brackets & Info
- 7's By the Sea...Woohoo!!
- Bobby Kennedy
- Rugby Here & Over There Too!
- Rugby Here & There
- More Nash Bash Photos
- Western Collegiates Day 2 Scores Continued
- Western Collegiates Day 2
- Western Collegiates Day 1
- Nash Bash 2007 Pictures
- Rugby Here and There
- Student Punished for Wearing Full Pirate Garb
- Western Regional Collegiate Championships 2007
- Rugby Here and There...
- Hillary Clinton 2008
- West League Matches
-
▼
Apr
(27)






Rucking Zone
Keystone Premiership Team
ScrumQueens