Whitney Wayland from the University of Oklahoma was asked to attend the U-20 Women's National Team Elite Camp in Cocoa Beach, FL the weekend February 28 - March 2, 2008. Here is her guest blog about the event:
Try Out Report
So my tryouts(for those of you who don't know) went well. The camp was held February 28-March 2 in Cocoa Beach Florida at the Cocoa Beach Expo Center. The coaches(who never lie, at least not to us) told us that the level of experience at the camp was higher than at any other camp and that they've never had so many talented athletes in one camp before. They said no one was there that shouldn't be and we were all playing on the same level.
I won't know anything about the camp until after Easter, but I accomplished what I went there for: I learned so much. I learned counter rucks, different passes, new plays and how to be a better all around player. We went to the beach on Saturday night, rather than have practice, and it was beautiful. I have never been to the ocean before and it felt good, until the salt water washed into my grass burns on my legs. I got a wonderful tan, with a slight sunburn, made new friends and a hyper extended elbow to add to my hyper extended knee(acquired the Sunday before while playing booger).
A prop figured I was having trouble tackling a back(just because when I touched her I didn't knock her backwards) and decided to plow us both over, even though she was on my team. Her shoulder hit my elbow and bent my arm backwards. Needless to say, its really, really sore. I have bruises, dirty laundry, a sense of pride and a better understanding about Rugby after this weekend. We practiced almost 10 hours a day, with three practices a day. Up at 7 and down at 11. That's a lot of rugby we had to cram into 4 days.
On another note, the weather back at home(Oklahoma) apparently didn't get Florida's weather's memo(so nice and pleasant in Florida) and was storming with tornadoes, both warnings and watches. Instead of 5 hours in the air, I spent 8. I can barely stand a car ride to the city, which is only an hour away from home. I was about to die. I had a lot of opportunity to study for my midterms(two on Monday), and very little to sleep. It's nice being in Oklahoma but I can't wait to go on another rugby trip or to take the hour long drive back home.
Thanks Whitney for your update, I always enjoy peeking into to others rugby experiences...if you want to share your rugby experiences, email me.
U-20 Women's National Team Elite Camp - Whitney Wayland
2008-03-14T12:46:00-05:00
Scrumhalf Connection
Custom Search
Scrumhalf Connection Blog on Facebook
Watch this video to enter for a chance to win VIP tickets to the Heineken Cup Final!
Follow me on Twitter!
YSC Proudly Sponsors
Our Sports tickets include
rugby tickets,
boxing tickets,
hockey tickets and soccer tickets
Tickets World-Wide is a proud sponsor of Your Scrumhalf Connection. We handle tickets for a vast variety of events including the Super Bowl, Women's Final Four and the US Open Tennis tournament. For twenty years we have traded NFL Football and NBA Basketball tickets. Some of our favorite local teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros and the Houston Rockets. International favorites include World Cup Soccer, Grand Prix Racing and the Winter Olympics. Need college basketball seats? Yes, we trade Duke Blue Devils, Kentucky Wildcats and the Tar Heels. We also handle national events like NFR Rodeo and Las Vegas events. Any Ticket, anywhere!
Score yourself a few custom rugby t-shirts.
Get ready for top class online NFL betting at amazing site, Bet-on-the-NFL.com. You can also discover a number of other great football betting sites, news, and stats at SB3. Like to play games? The best online casinos website is Jaxcasinos.com
The place for sports betting, find the best online casino, nfl spread or check the best poker website.
Kontera It!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(290)
-
▼
Mar
(25)
- Rugby Re-posts
- My a$$ is on Google Maps!
- Nash Bash Rugby Tournament 2008
- Comic of the Day: Frank Cho
- USA Women's National Team Wins it ALL at Hong Kon...
- USA Wins at Hong Kong 7s
- Hong Kong 7's Full Schedule
- 2008 Western Rugby Union Collegiate Championships
- Texas Rugby Union Women's Select Trials 2008
- Rugby Here & There - General News
- Champagne Classic Tournament
- University of Oklahoma - 34th Annual Varsity Alumni
- Hong Kong Supporters - USA Women's National Team 7s
- Women's Six Nations Tournament Complete
- 2008 Hong Kong 7s Tournament
- Rugby Here & There - College
- Texas A&M Ireland Travel Log - Wrapping it Up
- American Rugby News Followup
- U-20 Women's National Team Elite Camp - Whitney Wa...
- Texas A&M Ireland Travel Log - Match 2
- Women’s 2008 Elite Player Squad
- Texas A&M Ireland Travel Log - Match 1
- Texas A&M Ireland Travel Log
- American Rugby News or Men's American Rugby News?
- Rugby Here & There: West U-23 LAU Tournament
-
▼
Mar
(25)






Rucking Zone
Keystone Premiership Team
ScrumQueens